Indivisibles suggest following actions:
We’re mourning the tragic mass shooting at the First Baptist Church in Sutherland Springs, Texas. More than 20 people were killed and dozens more injured in this horrific terrorist attack.
After Las Vegas, Orlando, Charleston, Newtown, and so many more acts of violence, we know that thoughts and prayers aren’t enough to ensure justice for those harmed by gun violence. And nearly every American wants our elected officials to take swift action to curb gun violence so that no more communities have to go through this. Yet so many members of Congress continue to kowtow to the National Rifle Association (NRA) and refuse to act.
We know that each time one of these tragedies happens it’s easy to feel hopeless, numb, and cynical that anything can change. But if we’ve learned anything this year it’s that, collectively, we have the power to change anything and resist forces like the NRA that seem unstoppable.
Stand with Sutherland Springs and stand with your fellow Indivisibles today: read our resource on preventing gun violence and contact your member of Congress to demand that they block the gun lobby’s agenda now.
After months of speculation, Republicans finally unveiled their #TrumpTaxScam. After dropping their bill on Thursday, the GOP is trying to rush through the #TrumpTaxScam, another massive (massive) giveaway to the rich… and themselves. (Read The Guardian’s bombshell report published yesterday on Trump’s inner circle and how they store money in offshore tax havens to avoid paying taxes.)
We can’t stress this enough: so much of what we care about is on the chopping block in the #TrumpTaxScam. Here’s what the GOP is willing to do just to give themselves and their millionaire and billionaire friends a tax cut:
- Penalize those with debt… and make them pay more: People with medical or student loan debt would no longer be able to deduct those expenses from their taxes.
- Attack immigrants: More than 5 million immigrant parents with US-citizen children would no longer be able to receive the Child Tax Credit. And some immigrants working legally in the US would lose access to the Earned Income Tax Credit.
- Stand in the way of adoptions: Adoptive parents would lose a key tax credit that helps offset the (very high!) costs of adoption.
- Disincentivize job growth in rural and urban areas: The GOP also removes a tax credit that encourages businesses to invest in places hit the hardest by the recession — mostly rural communities and urban areas. (Hmm… what’s that about Trump being a jobs president again?)
- Exacerbate wealth inequality: The #TrumpTaxScam gives huge tax cuts to the wealthy by phasing out the estate tax, repealing the Alternative Minimum Tax, and limiting the tax rate on income earned by hedge funds, private law firms, and the Trump Organization. The bill also slashes the corporate tax rate so corporations can line the pockets of their shareholders.
- Add $1.5 trillion to the deficit: And once they balloon the deficit, they’ll use that as an argument to make deep, dangerous cuts to Medicaid, Medicare, and Social Security in 2018.
House Republicans are expected to begin marking up their bill today. And the Senate may introduce their bill this week. Just like TrumpCare, Republicans’ only chance to get this bill through is if we don’t make enough noise. But, if we show national, mobilized, local opposition to this scam before most members of Congress (MoCs) make up their mind, we can stop them in their tracks. And. we. can. win.
So here’s what we have planned this week to defeat this bill:
- Find a #TrumpTaxScam event in your area. Indivisible Group Leaders are planning a National Week of Action, with more than 60 actions across the country. Can’t find one in your area? Plan your own! Then register your event on our website so others can find it.
- Light up those phone lines. Start making calls. Tell your MoCs how you feel. Try to get them on the record about this bill. Make sure they know where you stand and that you’ll be watching where they stand. We’re already making them nervous, but we need sustained call volume to drive our point home. Contact your Republican MoCs AND your Democratic MoCs — every member of Congress is a target.
The ONLY way that they get away with this scam is if it flies under the radar. But, if we make waves with our upcoming week of action, we’ll take a huge step towards stopping the scam and protecting Medicare, Medicaid, and the middle class from their billionaire-backed bill. You can find ALL of our resources on the #TrumpTaxScam — Tax Policy 101, organizing resources, call scripts, and more — at www.TrumpTaxScam.org.
Tell your member of Congress to take the DREAMer Pledge
In September, the Trump Administration upended the lives of nearly 800,000 DREAMers when he rescinded an Obama-era Executive Order that allowed young undocumented Americans to obtain job permits and live, temporarily, without fearing deportation. Even more, he punted responsibility to Congress who has yet to act.
On November 9, support our allies at United We DREAM as they kick off their Operation DREAM Act campaign. The clock is ticking to pass a clean DREAM Act before December and pressure is mounting. Late last week, Sens. Kamala Harris (D-NJ), Elizabeth Warren (D-MA), Bernie Sanders (I-VT), and Cory Booker (D-NJ), as well as Rep. Keith Ellison (D-MI), all announced they won’t support the upcoming government spending bill unless Republicans move forward with protections for DREAMers.
Ask your MoCs to take make the same pledge. Whether they’re Republican or Democrat, they should commit to withholding their vote on the next spending bill in December unless it contains a clean DREAM Act. Read our resource on the DREAM Act and contact your MoC to ask them to take the DREAMer Pledge.
Last week’s #TrumpThreatLevel Update…
Trump tried to take advantage of the attack in New York by scapegoating immigrants and Muslims. Rumblings continue to grow that he will try to derail special counsel Robert Mueller’s investigation into his campaign’s collusion with Russia. Trump isn’t worried that there are critical posts in the State Department that are still empty because “I am the only one that matters.”
Virginians (and New Jerseyans!) go to the polls in the first statewide elections since 2016. What happens in Virginia matters for the entire nation — it will send a signal about the power of our movement to win elections. We also have the chance to defeat Trump Republicans who would push our country further to the right, including GOP Gubernatorial candidate Ed Gillespie, who has pushed racist ads about immigrants and Muslims to try to slime his way into office.
Can you help turn Virginia blue by signing up for a last-minute volunteer shift?
Who: You and your friends!
What: 2-hour phone-banking or text-banking shifts to get out the vote in Virginia!
Where: On your computer
When: Today at 10am, 12pm, 2pm, 4pm, or 6pm
RSVP here now
Virginians aren’t the only folks heading to the polls this Tuesday. Voters in New Jersey will elect a new governor to replace Chris Christie, and vote down the ballot for state Assembly and Senate candidates. From Charlotte to Seattle to the Twin Cities, 11 major cities will vote for Mayoral candidates.
- Tell your member of Congress (MoC) to take the DREAMer Pledge. Time is ticking for the House and Senate to move on deportation relief for DREAMers by the end of the year. We’re supporting our friends at United We Dream — they’re holding a day of action on November 9 to put pressure on members of Congress and demand a clean DREAM Act by the end of the year. Use this resource to learn more about the DREAM Act and demand your MoC join a growing list of Senators who’ve taken the DREAMer Pledge.
- Virginia votes tomorrow. Our ask is simple: sign up for a volunteer shift to help get out the vote in Virginia from any state. All you need is 2 hours, a computer, and a comfy place to sit. Sign up to volunteer to help turn Virginia blue.